I’m Tomato Saucy Meal Prep
I have been prepping this meal for a while now and it is so easy and delicious! It’s pretty inexpensive as well!
It is a tomato based sauce with lentils and tofu(you could use beef, ground turkey, chicken, or go meat free!)
4 tbsp butter
2 large onions yellow, white, or red
4 large carrots
4 garlic cloves
2-3 jalapenos (optional)
4 zucchini squash
6 cups uncooked lentils
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
4 containers of firm tofu
1. Cooking the lentils: in a large pot I put about 10 cups of water and 6 cups of dry lentils. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. Reduce heat once boiling to a simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes the lentils should be same color throughout and soft. Doesn’t take long. If there’s excess water I drain the water. I usually put the lentils in a strainer and let them drain/cool.
2. Chop the onions, garlic, jalapenos and add to another large pot or the pot you used for the lentils. Saute with 2 tbsp butter. Medium to low heat.
3. Chop carrots into small chunks and add to onion and garlic mixture.
I would begin cooking tofu or meat at this point. For the tofu I drain very well, cut into small chunks and saute and cook on high in a pan. I season with salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder, and tumeric. You can season with whatever you want. I cook until most of the tofu gets brown and crispy. Takes maybe 25-30 minutes.
4. Chop squash and set aside.
5. Add the two cans of diced tomatoes to the onion, garlic, and carrots. Mix together. At this point the carrots should be halfway cooked and the onions soft.
6. Add the squash to tomato sauce and stir.
7. Season with salt, pepper, cayanne, paprika, tumeric. I don’t measure it out but I put a decent amount of each spice on the pot.
8. Allow to cook for a bit until the squash is cooked fully. I usually turn it down to medium low. I would give it a taste test to see if you want more seasoning.
9. While that’s cooking I measure myself 1 cup of the cooked lentils into my Tupperware containers (should give you about 12 meals-greg takes half)
10. Once everything in sauce is soft I turn off. Allow to cool slightly. While that’s cooling I add 200g of cooked tofu to 6 containers (Greg gets no tofu).
11. I then take about 1 cup of the cooked red sauce and pour on top of the lentils and tofu.
Allow to cool for bit, close lid and you’re done!
Easy to clean up!
Enjoy! Let me know if you give it a try!
PER SERVING: Serving size 1 meal with tofu/Calories 542, 14g Fat, 58g Carbohydrates, 17g fiber, 46g protein
Contains nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron. 💪
📌Note:This is a large meal but it fits within my calories and macros I eat daily. You could make it smaller by just decreasing your portion size a bit. Try 1/2-3/4 cup lentils and 150g of tofu or 3 ounces of a meat of your choice.